- 31-Mar-2017 to 30-Apr-2017 (EST)
- Division 28 - NSST
- Jacksonville, FL, USA
- Full Time
Will discuss during interview.
US Navy Navigation, Seamanship and Ship Handling, Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) Junior Officer of the Deck (JOOD) Instructor/Operator.
LB&B Associates Inc. provides LCS JOOD Instructional Services at the Naval Station Mayport in Jacksonville, FL.
The instructor(s) will teach 4-5 eight week courses per year, providing lecture, classroom, and computer based training and simulator training.
LCS JOOD Instructor/Operator Position responsibilities:
• Provides Classroom and Laboratory Instruction per Surface Warfare Officer School provided curriculum.
• Operates the LCS Simulators and other Computer Based Training Systems in support of the LCS 1 and 2 JOOD curriculums.
• Conducts practical exercises and administers exams.
• Provides post exercise debriefs.
• Maintains all course records per directives.
• Provides recommendation to Model Manager for Curriculum updates or changes
Position will train the prospective JOOD on the requisite mariner skill set and tactical awareness within the maritime environment required to proficiently and safely assist the Officer of the Deck in Navigation, Seamanship and Ship-Handling of the vessel immediately upon reporting aboard to their assigned Ship. To achieve this goal, training delivery includes a combination of classroom instruction, computer-based training, simulation, and live evolutions - in-port and where appropriate at sea. It is conducted in individual and team environments and focuses on qualification and proficiency. Curriculum has two primary areas of focus; classroom familiarization instruction and simulator based proficiency training. Students are provided the tools necessary to guide the vessel through navigational situations, with a particular focus on the fundamentals of seamanship, safety, and a thorough understanding of the capabilities and limitations of the ship class.
Minimum Requirements for the LCS JOOD Instructor are:
• Former qualified Navy Surface Warfare Officer OR USCG license as Third Mate, Any Gross Tons, Oceans OR USCG license as Master, 1600 Gross Tons, Oceans/Near Coastal; AND
• At least 3 years experience as officer in charge of the navigation watch aboard high speed craft, or high speed ferry, or high speed vessel, at sea service; AND
• Demonstrated expert level knowledge and understanding of NSS subject areas outlined in this section, NSS TRD, current version of the Surface Ship Navigation Department Organization and Regulations Manual (NAVDORM), standard Navy conning commands, maritime education and training best practices, high speed craft operations and ship-handling, and U.S. Navy LCS particulars and maneuvering characteristics for both LCS hull types.
• Must have or be capable of obtaining a Secret Clearance.
• Must be very computer literate, capable of operating high speed computer based training systems, and operating the LCS Bridge Simulator after training is provided
• Former Instructor Training and or Experience preferred.
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to successfully complete a drug/alcohol test and criminal background check. May be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance, including successfully completing a thorough background screening. Must have a valid driver's license and safe driving record within the past 36 months, as defined by Company policy.