- 21-Sep-2016 to 14-Apr-2017 (EST)
- Division 28 - NSST
- Newport, RI, USA
- Part Time
US Navy Navigation Ship Handling Seamanship Instructors
LB&B Associates Inc. is seeking candidates for On-Call Ship Handling Instructor to be located at SWOS Newport RI.
Responsibilities: Provide instruction and assessment in Department Head, Prospective Executive Officer, Prospective Commanding Officer Major Command, Advanced Ship Handling and Prospective Commanding Officer Shipboard Fundamentals NSS subject areas using Conning Officer Virtual Environment (COVE) bridge simulators and classrooms.
1. Former Navy Surface Ship Commanding Officer with at least 3 years in Command, at sea service, OR U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) license as Master, Any Gross Tons, Oceans with 3 years of experience, at sea service, as a ship's Master.
2. Have received appropriate guidance in instructional techniques and competency assessment methods and practice involving the use of simulators AND possesses at least 2 years of experience in conducting training and assessment using a full mission or part task bridge simulator.
3. Completed a USCG accepted Train the Trainer program based upon IMO Model Course 6.09 Training Course for Instructors.
4. 2 years practical operational experience using CSC COVE or TRANSAS or KONGSBERG bridge simulators to provide instruction and competency assessment in NSS subject areas is preferred.
5. Demonstrated expert level knowledge and understanding of NSS subject areas outlined in this section, NSS TRD, current version of the Surface Ship Navigation Department Organization and Regulations Manual (NAVDORM), standard Navy conning commands, maritime education and training best practices, U.S. Navy Surface Ship particulars and maneuvering characteristics for all ship classes.
6. Completed a USCG approved Train the Simulator Instructor program.
7. Completed A-061-0042 VMS Operator Course or A-061-0044 VMS 9 Operator or approved equivalent.
8. For instructors teaching High Speed Vessel (HVS) students shall possess 3 years of experience serving in a High Speed Vessel, at sea service, as a Licensed Master Mariner or Commanding Officer (USN).
The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Must be able to successfully complete a drug/alcohol test and criminal background check. May be required to obtain and maintain a security clearance, including successfully completing a thorough background screening. Must have a valid driver's license and safe driving record within the past 36 months, as defined by Company policy.